Private Lessons: For the young and young at heart...
Serving Kansas and Missouri for 42 years, music education is the backbone of our business. We offer more private lessons than anyone in Kansas City. We have a large staff of teachers at all three locations to serve you. Whether you are a hobbyist or serious musician we can help. We have teachers for beginners through advanced students, and if you think you’re too old… think again. Our instructors are well suited to teach more mature students who have always wanted to learn. To sign up for lessons or inquire about teachers you can contact any of our three locations for details.
What Instruments Do We Teach?
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the best age to start my child on an instrument? That depends on several factors. Has your child displayed an interest and a desire to learn? Do they have a good attention span? Are they physically large enough to comfortably hold the instrument? Most piano and strings teachers will start a child at age 6 or 7. In some cases children start as young as 3 years old, but that requires extensive parental involvement and parents are usually required to take lessons right along with their child. Wind and brass students will generally start at age 11 or 12, most often when these types of instruments are offered in public schools.
- How do I find a qualified teacher? Meyer Music employs a full staff of qualified teachers that hold music degrees or are currently working towards a degree and have teaching experience. Each teacher is interviewed extensively and carefully screened to provide the best staff possible. Some teachers specialize in certain age groups if you have a special request. Our counter staff can assist you in selecting a teacher that is compatible with your child's personality.
- How do I arrange lessons for my child? All you have to do is contact Meyer Music by phone or in person. We handle all scheduling for our teachers, and we can quickly and accurately tell you what openings exist and make final arrangements for securing your timeslot.
- Where do I get an instrument for my child? Do they come in smaller sizes for children? Meyer Music can assist you with all your instrument rental and purchase needs. Stringed instruments are the only instruments that come in smaller fractional sizes. Acoustic pianos and band instruments have one standard size for each instrument.
- How do I pay for lessons? Lessons are paid by the month at the beginning of the month.
- Are there a minimum number of lessons for which I am obligated? Meyer Music does not require you to sign up for a certain number of lessons. You can discontinue lessons at any time by notifying our counter staff.
- Does Meyer Music cancel lessons when schools are closed? Our lesson schedule does not follow the school cancellation schedule. Meyer Music is only closed for major holidays, and notification is posted in the store one to two weeks prior to the holiday.
- Do the teachers at Meyer Music give recitals? Meyer Music encourages all our teachers to involve students in recitals and other performance opportunities to keep them interested and motivated. We have a large recital facility at our main store available at no charge to students of our teachers, and Meyer Music also makes arrangements for recital facilities at no charge for our other two locations.
- Are there other performance and competition opportunities available? Meyer Music is a proud member of the American College of Musicians (National Piano Guild), Mid-America Music Association, and National Federation of Music Clubs. Students at Meyer Music are eligible for the annual competitions offered by these organizations.